Social investment Publications
Social Impact Bonds evaluation
Commissioning Better Outcomes (CBO) supports organisations to develop and launch social impact bonds (SIBs). We want to improve the understanding of SIBs, by capturing learning at all stages of development and delivery, so we’ve commissioned an external evaluation that will evaluate CBO over its nine-year life.
Below is the series of reports from this evaluation:
- In-depth review (MHEP) (PDF, 233KB)
- Summary of the Commissioning Better Outcomes Evaluation (PDF, 368KB)
- Social Impact Bonds: The State of Play. Full (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Social Impact Bonds: The State of Play. Summary report (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Commissioning Better Outcomes infographic (PDF, 191KB)
- Ways to Wellness Social Impact Bond: The UK’s First Health SIB (PDF, 766KB)
- Developing SIBs: A Commissioner's Perspective. Case study report (PDF, 498KB)
- Reconnections Social Impact Bond: reducing loneliness in Worcestershire report (PDF, 443KB)
- Commissioning Better Outcomes Evaluation - Update report (PDF, 969KB)
- Commissioning Better Outcomes Evaluation - Executive summary (PDF, 472KB)
- Commissioning Better Outcomes Evaluation - Update report for commissioners (PDF, 436KB)
- Commissioning Better Outcomes Evaluation - Summary report targeted at investors (PDF, 406KB)
- Commissioning Better Outcomes Evaluation - Summary report targeted at service providers (PDF, 384KB)
- The LOUD SIB Model: The four factors that determine whether a social impact bond is launched (PDF, 235KB)
- The LOUD SIB Model - Infographic (PDF, 2.4MB)
Growing the Social Investment Market
We worked with Big Society Capital, City of London Corporation and Government to commission a report about the social investment landscape. ICF GHK in association with BMG Research carried out the research in 2013. The results of this work are in these reports:
In 2012 we commissioned work to help us better understand when social investment works best. The report investigated:
- What investment-readiness means
- The barriers to becoming investment-ready
- The support needed to become investment-ready and how The National Lottery Community Fund and other funders can help.
You can read more about our findings in the following reports:
Mapping Social Enterprise in Scotland
We mapped social enterprises and their activity across Scotland, allowing us to understand their prevalence, scale, characteristics, reach, distribution and financial health. This has given us a baseline from which we can measure the difference made by our social investment-themed initiatives in Scotland.
Learning about the impact of our funding on social enterprises
In 2014, we commissioned Social Enterprise UK to evaluate the impact that our funding has had on social enterprises so we can improve our support for social enterprises in the future:
Understanding the capacity and need to take on investment within the social sector
In 2015 the Social Investment Research Council ;– which the Fund is a member of - commissioned NCVO to use new methods of accessing and using charity sector data to build an understanding of the potential demand for social investment.