You can apply via our online application form
The form is asking for only the information we need – it’s only a few short questions. We do not need lots of information from you right now. If you are selected, we’ll ask for some more details at the next stage, as well as talking to you to learn more about your work.
You should get a decision from us by the end of February 2021
We need this time to assess your application and decide who to award funding to.
If it's difficult or impossible for you to complete an application form
You can contact us if you have any communication support needs. We’re happy to talk about alternative ways for you to tell us about your idea.
What information you need to apply
We ask for the contact details of the main contact for your application
This should be someone we can talk to if we have any questions about your project.
We ask you for information about your plans
We ask about your role as an infrastructure organisation and how you’ll use this funding.
We ask for the legal name of your organisation and its address
Make sure these are up to date and match up with any information or identity documents we may ask for.
We also ask you to read and agree to our terms and conditions
Read our terms and conditions.
What happens after you apply?
- You send us your application – we’ll assess your application. We expect a huge amount of demand for this funding, so we'll have to make some tough decisions around what projects to take forward.
- We’ll take some early decisions about the applications that best meet our priorities.
- If you’re invited to the next stage, we’ll ask for more information about your project – we’ll email you asking for a short form with more details about your organisation and a more detailed budget. We'll use the information in this form to update our records and complete some security checks. (Find out more about the checks we do.) We’ll also arrange a chat with you. This will help us to make a final decision on whether to award funding.
- We’ll make a decision – a panel of our staff and leaders will make a decision. We’ll try to tell you our decision by the end of February 2021.
- If your application is successful – we'll contact you with the good news! Once you’ve been awarded funding from us, here’s what to expect. This page will also let you know about the things you need to do.
How will the programme work?
Each organisation selected will have a grant of up to £50,000 available to cover their costs. This might cover costs incurred over the year as they make changes to how they work, and/or to cover the costs of time spent working with the Design Lab. The Design Lab will have a dedicated team, working full-time across all the infrastructure organisations, offering coaching and expertise over the course of the programme.
What will the Design Lab offer?
The Design Lab will offer coaching and expertise in the following areas:
- identifying what to stop doing
- new skills and capabilities
- better use of digital tools and data
- becoming user centred
- content design and different channels for distribution of content
- approaches for testing, experimenting and iterating
- support to become more responsive and able to continually adapt
- using data more effectively
- better segmentation of users
- service audits
- building partnerships.
How much money is available?
We’ll be awarding up to £50,000 to each of the infrastructure organisations. We expect to fund around 8 to 10 organisations.