Ageing Better aims to support people aged over 50 who are experiencing or at risk of social isolation and loneliness, so that they can lead more fulfilling lives, better connected to their communities.
14 local partnerships will work to ensure that people aged 50 and over are:
- less isolated and lonely
- actively involved in their communities, with their views and participation valued more highly
- more engaged in the design and delivery of services that improve their social connections
- recognised for their positive contribution to society.
Ageing Better also supports:
- services that improve social connections to be better planned, co-ordinated and delivered
- the development of better evidence about how to reduce isolation and loneliness for people aged over 50, in order to improve the design of services in the future.
We have awarded a ten-year, £50 million endowment to The Centre for Ageing Better. Their aim is to support a good quality of life in older age and promote the benefits of an ageing society by bridging the gap between research, evidence and practice. The Centre is part of the What Works Network in England.
Many of our Ageing Better partnerships have been working on Community Connector and Social Prescribing type schemes, which were reviewed in our report from November 2018: Learning Report 2 – Community Connector schemes. The following video explores experiences of people aged over 50 involved in these schemes and the positive effects on their lives at two of our partnerships: Brightlife Cheshire and Ageless Thanet.
We will be following up on this work in 2019, so please check back here for more information later in the year.
People in the Lead
Each of the 14 local partnerships use the strengths and assets of people aged over 50 and the wider community to find what works best in their area. People aged over 50 are driving decision-making and governance, and play a key role in co-designing and delivering project activities.
As a result, services will be better planned, more coordinated and delivered in a way that works for the local community.