The ambition of the Women and Girls Initiative (WGI) is to support the development of a stronger sector through addressing four programme outcomes:
- Increased provision of holistic, integrated, person-centred approaches for women and girls at risk
- Increased involvement of women and girls in the design and delivery of the services they use.
- A greater number of women and girls are supported through the provision of improved specialist support
- Better quality of evidence for what works in empowering women and girls.
Only women and girls' organisations were eligible to apply. We defined a women and girl's organisation as:
- An organisation that has been established with the key aim of working with women and girls only, or
- The majority of beneficiaries served by the organisation are, and will continue to be, women and girls, and the vast majority of the services will reflect this.
Organisations could either focus on specific issues (for example, domestic and sexual violence or mental health), or run community-based services such as a women’s centre or youth group. The funded projects are ambitious and help to create capacity in organisations.
The awards are between £150,000 and £750,000 for up to five years (2016-2021).
Projects are currently in grant management. Funding will end in 2021.