Through Young Start we are offering funding from £10,001 to £100,000 to help children and young people across Scotland become more confident, so they can realise their own potential.
Please note: from now until the end of 2019 we will be changing some of our internal systems to improve the experience of applying for and using our grants. While we do this we expect it may take us longer than usual to process applications. It could take up to 6 months for us to tell you our final decision.
We want to fund work that achieves at least one of the following three outcomes:
- children and young people have better physical, mental and emotional wellbeing
- children and young people have better connections with the wider community
- children and young people get access to new skills and training opportunities which will help them to get a new job or start a business.
We also believe that the following three approaches are vital in making sure that our funding makes the biggest difference possible. We want to fund work that is:
- people-led – meaningfully involving the young people you’re working with in the development, design and delivery of your activity
- strengths-based – making the most of, and building on, the skills and experiences of young people and assets within communities
- connected – having a good understanding of what others are doing locally, developing good working relationships and complementing and adding value to other relevant activity in your area.
How has Young Start changed?
We re-opened Young Start in August 2018 after taking some time to review and reshape the fund.
During this time we’ve made some changes to Young Start based on feedback from applicants, grantholders and the wider youth sector.
The biggest changes are that we will now fund projects for up to three years, and we have raised the maximum grant size to £100,000, though we are keen to spread our funding as best we can so we still expect to fund many projects below the maximum amount. We’d also like to talk to you about your ideas before sending you an application form, and over time we’re aiming to involve young people more in how we deliver this funding.